Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Odds and ends...

Here's a few updates on several different facets of this proect:

1) I'm still working on the XBox360->PS3 adapter. My logic analyzer should be here tomorrow to help with getting the MCU talking to the USB host IC that I'm working with. I'm a little worried about latency at this point, but I have nothing to base those concerns on and won't be sure about anything until I get everything working.

2) I said a while ago that I had chosen the C8051F342 as the development platform for this project. Ever since then, I've been using an AVR development board. The code is semi-working on the F342, but I've yet to even really start porting the more critical portions of the code over. Both the F342 and the ATMega328 are more than capable for the intended purpose, but the final platform is all going to depend on latency.... which brings me to my next point.

3) I'm in the process of evaluating two new pieces of hardware. The first is an all-in-one IC that can host both the XBox 360 controller and be a slave to the PS3 all at the same time. This is the ideal platform, but it'll mean starting over on the whole project and learning a completely new architecture.

The second piece of hardware that I'm looking at will be for the original XIM users that want to have a firmware upgradable adapter that they can build themselves and who aren't interested in upgrading to XIM2 or XIM3 once I get the XBox360->PS3 adapter working to my liking. Bootloading the MCU to allow for easy firmware upgrades is something that I've given a lot of thought to, and I think that there's already great solutions out there. Once I get the new MCU and get the code ported to it, I'll make a post with all the details and a link to download the hex code needed to get everything running. The only thing that you'll need to program the hardware that I'm looking at will be a USB cable.

Unfortunately, there won't be a DIY solution for the XBox360->PS3 adapter since some custom PC boards will have to be printed up.

8 comments:

  1. So.... your project will NOT help PS3 users with XIM3? Or am I misunderstanding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're misunderstanding. I'm going to be releasing a DIY solution for users of the original XIM sometime soon.

    The adapter that will work with XIM3 is still quite a way away from being done, and once it's finished, there won't be a DIY solution for that. It will take a custom PC board, and if there's enough interest, I'll be making and selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There could be a DIY solution for the XBox360->PS3 adapter (for ex the arduino+usb host shield), but I think making a free solution to adapt a non-free device would be too generous to the XIM company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That solution is possible, but it'll be some tricky coding since it'll take three MCUs to accomplish the goal (the Maxmim host IC, the AVR talking to the Maxim, and another that's running VUSB to talk to the PS3).

    ReplyDelete
  5. What's preventing the AVR to run vusb and speak to the host IC at the same time?
    I don't think there is any cheap IC with both host usb and device usb on the same chip. I didn't found one yet and I'm still looking for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out the V2 line of chips from FTDI. I'm probably going to order one of those next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great! This is exactly the kind of device I was looking for. I don't know how I missed that! I guess it's quite new, because there doesn't seem to be a psgroove port to these devices.
    Is there any hobbyist project example on the web?

    ReplyDelete
  8. None that I've found, and their development environment only runs in Windows as far as I can tell. I've downloaded their IDE and looked at the examples, and it looks a lot like libusb to me..... but I don't know libusb so I could be way off. I sent you an email, so get back to me once you've read it.

    ReplyDelete