Thursday, October 21, 2010

Making steady progress

Earlier this week I decided it was time to get the XIM connected to the adapter that I've been working on. My initial attempt was a huge failure. I was trying to use a library that I thought would work, but it didn't. So, yesterday I wrote my own implementation of the Playstation 2 controller protocol, and everything is working a lot better now. I've still got a little bit of an issue with timing, though, since some of the data isn't being interpreted properly. My wife has class tonight, so I'm going to work on getting the kinks ironed out of that after work today.

And speaking of debugging embedded systems... what makes all this even more difficult is that I don't have a way to debug my code while it's running on the device. I guess a debugger is the next thing that I need to get. If anyone knows of a one that works with more than one MCU, please post in the comments.

**EDIT**

I can't believe that I forgot to let everyone know that I've shattered 60-ish updates per second that we've seen with other adapters. My setup has been running in excess of 150 updates per second, however I think that the speed has something to do with data corruption. I'm going to tone it down a bit and see what happens. Regardless, 100 updates per second should be do-able without any data loss!

2 comments:

  1. Do you plan to include a method to adjust the update rate on the adapter? Maybe a physical switch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't really thought about it, but in my opinion faster is always better with these kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete