Tuesday, October 12, 2010

More good news!

I've got a bit of more good news in case anyone is even still interested in my work. After working through all the muck to get the F340 to enumerate as a gamepad, I've gone back and done the same thing with an Arduino Duemilanove using the VUSB library. Being able to work with the AVR will speed development along a lot. There are still a bunch of things that I don't fully understand in regards to the F340, but AVRs are my proverbial "old stomping grounds." The only downside that I can think of in regards to VUSB is that it only implements USB 1.1, however that _shouldn't_ be a problem given that there just isn't that much data to process. When you take a PS2 controller and break it down into raw data, there are only 16 bits of data for the buttons (excluding analog data) and 4 bytes of data that describe the position of the analog sticks. Even if the analog portion of the buttons has to be coded into the program, it will be easy enough to just assign full depression data to those values based on simple button states.

Given that I can now fall back into a development environment that I'm more familiar with, I'm hoping to know a lot more about what will and won't work with the PS3 sometime later this weekend. I would love to work on this kind of stuff every afternoon, but it doesn't pay the bills and my wife is getting a little annoyed with me. She really doesn't care if I was able to enumerate an Arduino as a USB gamepad LOL!

4 comments:

  1. sometimes women just dont understand!
    i apologize, i really have nothing useful to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was still following my progress, or the lack there of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick I have no technical expertise at all but I've been following your progress from the minute I found this blog, which was fairly early. Do you know how great it is that someone is dedicated to the PS3 ...I can't ...CANNOT ..at all play with a controller so having devices like the XIM and what you're doing is allowing me to be part of the people having fun. Please keep going & THANK YOU for your efforts thus far.

    -fauxmatic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the compliments and words of encouragement, faux. I don't actually play a lot of PS3 any more, but I do enjoy the occasional round of COD4 and I absolutely suck with a controller (I'm not much better with a mouse and keyboard, but at least it's fun). Since OBsIV is tied up with XIM3 development and can't/won't help out the PS3 users, I decided someone with the expertise needed to step in. Since no one was available, I decided to take up the cause LOL! So far, I've enjoyed the hell out of this project and I've learned a lot, as well.

    ReplyDelete