Friday, October 8, 2010

I ordered some new toys today

Since deciding to change direction with my project, I've been doing a lot of research on where to start. Not knowing much about USB, most of the focus has been on understanding all the descriptors that go into USB communication. I've finally gotten my mind kind-of wrapped around all the data, and I've started looking into which development platform would be the best place to start. I had planned on using VUSB (and I still might give it a try), but I've changed my mind.

After looking at all the options, I've finally settled on Silicon Labs and their C8051F342 MCU. If the name Silicon Labs sound familiar, it's because they're the same company that makes the hardware that OBsIV's original XIM uses. I had thought about using one of the PIC18F chips, but I couldn't find what I considered sufficient documentation. Then I thought about using Atmel's AT90USBKey, but they're hard to find since they're the primary platform for commercially available PS3 jailbreak clones. Then I remembered OBsIV's comments on how nice Silicon Labs' environment and tools are, so I decided to check out they're offerings. Their documentation is top-notch, and their MCUs are cheap. AND, if you aren't opposed to taking your XIM apart, you can use the base adapter you already have to program the MCU.

All my stuff should be here on Monday, so hopefully everything will progress a bit quicker after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment