Friday, March 4, 2011

I've let this go far too long without an update!

Alright guys, I know that some of you are still patiently waiting for any new developments on the PS3 adapter project. Despite my best intentions, I've yet to get the PS3 home button working. Like I said in an earlier post, I know what needs to happen, but I just haven't sat down and taken the time to write the code. I'm not going to put a date on it, but I hope that I will find the time soon. I have also been trying to come up with a cost-effective way to create a X360->PS3 adapter so that us PS3 users could benefit from all the work that OBsIV has put into XIM3. The real roadblock deals with the kind of hardware required to do such a thing. Making an adapter that would translate PSX signals into USB was relatively simple once I finally got my head wrapped around how USB worked. Making an adapter that will act as a USB host that can parse the data from the Xbox 360 controller and then translate it into something the PS3 will understand requires quite a bit more hardware than the original project did. The good news is that I can re-use some of the code from the original project to make it happen. However, the hardware is all new to me and it will take a little time to learn all the ins and outs.... that, and I still haven't bought it yet.

Another thing that's been taking up a lot of  my time is getting an iOS project lined out for where I work, and I'm really excited about it and all the possibilities that are taking shape with that project. Right now it's still in the planning phase, and I'll definitely be posting more about it later.

2 comments:

  1. awesome, I can't wait till the xbox 360 -> ps3 is done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I've read Your entries, and I'd like to ask for a few answers.

    I've been trying to figure out a way to link a keyboard/mouse combo to the PS3 so that it could be reported as a native PS3 pad. I have this nice gadget that works SORT OF like a mouse/pad combo (it has a mouse and a second-hand controller), but the lag is DEADLY. :( I couldn't get it to work properly, ever (and it either kept hanging or not initializing properly so that both pieces worked together, anyhow).

    Let's assume that I'm working with attinyUSB for ATTiny2313 (a 20MHz soft-emulation for USB from Atmel for one of their 'weaker' AVRs). I could figure out connecting two of those end-to-end so that they could both emulate USB slaves on each end of the cable.

    The questions are thus:

    - how much speed do I really need? (I can somewhat get away with USB 1.1 with the overhead required to soft-emulate USB on this chip)

    - what kind of code would I need to make the PC-side compatible with the XIM program? I've seen bin files around, but no source nor an explanation (believe me, rewriting the capture/send PC app from scratch will throw this project out the window before it even starts)

    I know it seems that I'm a bit lazy, but the problem is very simple: I have a couple of spare ATTiny2313's laying around, soldering equipment and wires. If I'm going to build this, then I need to build it in a day or so. I'm trying to quickly ascertain if this project is even viable.

    And yeah, I want to use the tinys simply because I can't afford to fork out what would amount to buying an original PS3 controller for the Toolstick+Teensy (in my parts a PS3 controller costs around 200 of my currency, while the Toolstick and Teensy/Minimus are 120 each, plus S&H).

    ReplyDelete